Boulder Fortress Pueblito
Overlooking a small tributary to Cuervo (Crow) Canyon, Boulder Fortress Pueblito is a four-room pueblito located on a sandstone talus boulder. On the adjacent mesa bench to the north are the remains of three, possibly four forked-pole hogans. The exterior walls of Boulder Fortress are along the outer most edge of the boulder. Features of the pueblito include the entry doorway with associated hand and footholds carved into the boulder and roof beams (Powers and Johnson 1987).
: Currently only Dinetah Gray and Gobernador Polychrome have been identified at the site (Towner 1997).
: Eleven samples have been collected from the site. Wood species included juniper and pinyon. All of the samples from the pueblito exhibit metal ax cut marks, however none of the samples from the hogans showed such evidence. Tree-ring dates obtained suggest that the pueblito was likely built in 1728 (Towner 1997).
||Bureau of Land Management
||6622 ft / 2018 m
||Moderate (North Approach)=
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance less than 1,500 feet;
Elevation gain less than 20 feet.
Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
Towner, Ronald H. 1997
The Dendrochronology of the Navajo Pueblitos of Dinetah, PhD dissertation, University of Arizona.
Share this page
Report any vandalism to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) hot line at 505-564-7600.