The Citadel Pueblito is a two story, twin tower complex that sits on top of a boulder on the edge of an arroyo that drains into Cuervo (Crow) Canyon. There is a covered walkway between the towers and a courtyard area on the east side of the boulder. Most of the second story has collapsed along with the roofs of the first floor rooms. Loopholes and a sealed doorway are also visible (Powers and Johnson 1987).
: Only Dinetah Gray and Gobernador Polychrome wares have been identified at the site (Towner 1997).
: A total of 16 samples have been collected from the pueblito. Wood species identified only consisted of juniper. About half of the samples showed evidence of metal ax use. Though numerous tree-ring samples have been taken, results were rather disappointing. At best, the pueblito was likely built sometime after 1688 (Towner 1997).
The pueblito has undergone some stabilization (Site Signage).
||State of New Mexico
➠ Access Permit Required
||6548 ft / 1996 m
Someone in fair hiking condition;
Distance less than 400 feet;
Elevation gain less than 50 feet.
Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
Towner, Ronald H. 1997
The Dendrochronology of the Navajo Pueblitos of Dinetah, PhD dissertation, University of Arizona.