Located at the north end of a narrow mesa, this pueblito overlooks Largo Canyon to the north and south and Rincon Largo Canyon to the southwest. The pueblito consists of single room structure on top of a boulder and two forked-pole hogans. The masonry structure has a pillar doorway and evidence of a corner fireplace (Powers and Johnson 1987).
Ceramic Assemblage: Ceramics documented at the site included Dinetah Gray, Gobernador Polychrome, Zia, Zuni and Acoma wares.
Tree-ring Analysis: Twelve tree-ring samples have been collected at the site from loose logs in and around the masonry structure. Only wood species of pinyon were identified, but that is because the collection of samples was biased. Because samples were not in situ, exact dating of the pueblito is problematic. Results suggest that the pueblito was constructed sometime after 1742 (Towner 1997).
Bureau of Land Management
6390 ft / 1948 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance greater than 1 mile;
Elevation gain less than 50 feet.
Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
Towner, Ronald H. 1997
The Dendrochronology of the Navajo Pueblitos of Dinetah, PhD dissertation, University of Arizona.