Rabbit House Pueblito
Located in Rafael Canyon, this pueblito is situated on the valley floor of Rafael Canyon. Old Fort Pueblito is visible across the canyon. The site consists of a three-room pueblito. A panel of ceremonial images (petroglyphs and pictographs) is located on a boulder nearby and is likely associated with the site (Towner 2003). Modern vandalism in the form of someone engraving their initials is also present.
: Ceramics include Dinetah Gray and Gobernador Polychrome (Towner 2003).
: Twelve tree-ring samples have been collected from the pueblito. Juniper was exclusively used in the construction of the pueblito. All but one sample showed evidence of metal ax use. The tree-ring dates indicate that the pueblito was constructed around 1752. This date places Rabbit House contemporaneous with Old Fort (Towner 2003).
||Bureau of Land Management
||6422 ft / 1957 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance about 1,500 feet;
Elevation gain less than 50 feet, requires crossing a deep arroyo.
||Towner, Ronald H. 2003
Defending the Dinetah: Pueblitos in the Ancestral Navajo Heartland. The University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Share this page
Report any vandalism to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) hot line at 505-564-7600.