Simon Canyon Pueblito
Located on the east bench of Simon Canyon, this pueblito is the most northwestern of the pueblitos and the only one documented north of the San Juan River. The pueblito consists of a single room on a large 20-foot high boulder. The room is rather well preserved with the greater part of the roof intact. Handholds and footholds were carved into the sandstone high up on the side of the boulder and the inhabitants likely used a notched log as a ladder or rope to reach them. Simon Canyon Ruin was unusual because other pueblitos could not be seen from the site and forked-pole hogans do not appear to have been located nearby (Powers and Johnson 1987).
: Currently only Dinetah Gray and Gobernador Polychrome ceramics have been documented.
: Only seven samples have been collected from the pueblito. It appears that the roof was entirely constructed using juniper wood and metal ax cuts were noted on ends and branches of the timber. Tree-ring dates indicate that the structure was likely constructed in 1754 (Towner 2003). The site was stabilized by the BLM in 1975 (BLM site plaque).
||Bureau of Land Management
||5895 ft / 1797 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance more than 1 mile;
Elevation gain 50 to 100 feet.
Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
Towner, Ronald H. 2003
Defending the Dinetah: Pueblitos in the Ancestral Navajo Heartland. The University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Share this page
Report any vandalism to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) hot line at 505-564-7600.