Martin Apodaca Homestead
Martin Apodaca and his wife Andrea settled at this homestead in 1910. Located in Rincon Pollito (Little Chicken Canyon), land patents indicate that they began construction the same year. However tree-ring dates indicate that construction of the habitants occurred in 1907, 1913, 1916, and 1918. This homestead consists of several residential structures and ranch features of traditional style Spanish-American construction (Gregory 2016). The Apodacas cultivated chile, tobacco, onions, garlic, and squash on the two acres. In addition, they owned 800 to 1,000 sheep (BLM).
In addition, the most western structure on the site was also used intermittently as a community church, Nuestra Senora de la Buena Pastora (Our Lady of the Good Shepard) (Sheftel 2012). The church originally had a bell, but when the church was deconsecrated, the bell was sent to Jemez. Historical records indicate that the homestead was abandoned around 1930.
||Bureau of Land Management
||6468 ft / 1971 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance less than 3/4 mile;
Elevation gain less than 50 feet.
Gregory, Carrie J. 2016
Cultural Traditions of Abandoned Rural Cultural Landscapes. Association of Preservation Technology Bulletin, Journal of Preservation Technology 47:2-3 2016.
Sheftel, Janice 2012
Field Trip Report, San Juan Basin Archaeological Society. November 2012.