Part of Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
, self-guided Lowry Pueblo was named after homesteader George Lowry. It was constructed in 1060 A.D. atop of abandoned pithouses from an earlier occupation. The pueblo sheltered 100 ancestral inhabitants and was occupied for over 165 years.
Initial excavations in the 1930s revealed a kiva (soonafter backfilled) with an intact decorative mural. After re-excavation in 1974, the mural began to discolor and peel away due to exposure to light and air. Only a small fragment of that original mural survived which is now preserved at the Anasazi Heritage Center