Situated in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, along The High Road to Taos Scenic Byway is the village of Chimayó, New Mexico. Within this historic community are several cultural treasures worth visiting and experiencing.
Located in the Plaza del Cerro, one of Chimayó's historic neighborhoods, the museum is dedicated to educating the public about the history and culture of Chimayó and its surrounding communities. In addition to historic artifacts the Museum also displays numerous vintage photographs that illustrate life in Chimayó in the early twentieth century. Many of these pictures were taken by Prudence Clark, a Presbyterian missionary school teacher who came to Chimayó in 1900.
Located northeast of the Plaza del Cerro (one of Chimayó's historic neighborhoods) is Ortega's Weaving Shop. As the product of nine generations of inventive weaving, Ortega's Weaving Shop has historic roots (since the 1700s) and represents authentic New Mexico weaving styles to natives of the state and collectors worldwide.
In October 1965, Restaurante Rancho de Chimayó was born through the imagination of Arturo and Florence Jaramillo. Their restaurant would preserve the rich traditions of their family and its proud culture, welcoming guests into this comfortable and romantic piece of history. In July 2008, a fire at Rancho de Chimayó damaged the kitchen and other areas and after more than a year, the restaurant was respectfully restored and upgraded, preserving the original adobe walls, structure and many of its authentic features.
El Santuario de Chimayó is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of Chimayó, New Mexico and in the neighborhood called "El Potrero". For generations, American Indians, Hispanics, and other people of faith have traveled to the site of El Santuario and now it attracts over 300,000 pilgrims from all over each year.
El Santuario is one of the most important Catholic pilgrimage centers in the United States and one of the most beautiful examples of Spanish Colonial architecture in New Mexico.
The Santuario has two chapels, gardens and outdoor prayer spaces, parking, information center and museum, two gift shops and a cafeteria.
The Christ of Esquipulas Chapel was built between 1813 and 1816. This chapel is also the place of the "pocito" a small earth hole that marks the place where the crucifix that presides over the chapel was found.
The second chapel of the Shrine of Chimayó is dedicated to the Holy Child of Atocha (built in 1857). Today it is a destination for pilgrimages, especially for families, young people and children. It is also known as the Children's Chapel.