Located at the cliff edge of a high bench above Adams Canyon, this pueblito has a view down Adams Canyon to the confluence of Cereza Wash. The pueblito consists of a three-room masonry structure (Rooms 1-3), stone base hogan (Room 4), and a forked-pole hogan (Powers and Johnson 1987). The masonry structures are in poor condition with only small segments of walls visible and wall debris scattered about. Further north on the bench are two burned rock piles (4-5 m and 10-12 m in size). Some 300 feet west and below at the base of the cliff are three Ancestral Puebloan rock art panels.
Ceramic Assemblage: Ceramics documented at the site included Dinetah Gray and Gobernador Polychrome.
Tree-ring Analysis: Five tree-ring samples have been collected at the site, four from loose logs around the room block and one from the hogan. Wood species of juniper and pinyon were identified and metal ax use was also observed. None of the samples provided cutting dates and because of weathering, absolute dating is limited. At best, it appears that the pueblito was built sometime after 1736 (Towner 1997).
Bureau of Land Management
6551 ft / 1997 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance about 1/4 mile;
Elevation gain less than 50 feet.
Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
Towner, Ronald H. 1997
The Dendrochronology of the Navajo Pueblitos of Dinetah, PhD dissertation, University of Arizona.