Largo School Pueblito
Located on a ridge point overlooking Largo Canyon, this pueblito consists of a two room structure, one which has the roof partially intact. The pueblito was named for the former school house in the canyon below. The remains of a third room to the east was once present and noted in the initial recordings of the site but is no longer visible today. Other structures identified with the site include a hogan (in 1957, but subsequently never relocated) and the remnants of a masonry structure on a boulder as well as two burned rock piles below the main pueblito (Powers and Johnson 1987).
: Ceramics documented at the site included Dinetah Gray, Gobernador Polychrome, Jemez Black-on-white, Zia, Santa Ana, and Acoma wares (Towner 1997).
: Sixteen tree-ring samples have been collected from the site. Unfortunately nearly half of the samples were cottonwood which is not dateable. In addition the high use of cottonwood is unusual for pueblito construction. Based on the limited dates obtained, it is suggested that Room 3 was constructed in 1736 and Room 2 was constructed in 1737. The pueblito underwent stabilization by the BLM in 1975 (BLM site plaque).
||Bureau of Land Management
||6395 ft / 1949 m
Someone in good hiking condition;
Distance more than 1/2 mile;
Elevation gain 50 to 100 feet.
||Powers, Margaret A. and Byron P. Johnson 1987
Defensive Sites of Dinetah. New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Cultural Resources Series No. 2, 1987. U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Albuquerque District.
||Towner, Ronald H. 1997
The Dendrochronology of the Navajo Pueblitos of Dinetah, PhD dissertation, University of Arizona.
Share this page
Report any vandalism to the Bureau of Land Management hot line at (505) 564-7600.